Book Title: Seeking Safety: A Treatment Manual for PTSD and Substance Abuse (The Guilford Substance Abuse Series)
Publisher: The Guilford Press
Author: Lisa M. Najavits
- Recovery from Trauma, Addiction, or Both: Strategies for Finding Your Best Self
- 101 Trauma-Informed Interventions: Activities, Exercises and Assignments to Move the Client and Therapy Forward
- DBT® Skills Training Handouts and Worksheets, Second Edition
- A Woman's Addiction Workbook: Your Guide to In-Depth Healing
- Group Treatment for Substance Abuse, Second Edition: A Stages-of-Change Therapy Manual
- The Addiction Recovery Skills Workbook: Changing Addictive Behaviors Using CBT, Mindfulness, and Motivational Interviewing Techniques (New Harbinger Self-help Workbooks)
- DBT® Skills Training Manual, Second Edition
- The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma
- The Mindfulness Workbook for Addiction: A Guide to Coping with the Grief, Stress and Anger that Trigger Addictive Behaviors (A New Harbinger Self-Help Workbook)
- The Complex PTSD Workbook: A Mind-Body Approach to Regaining Emotional Control and Becoming Whole
This manual presents the first empirically studied, integrative treatment approach developed specifically for co-occurring PTSD and substance abuse. For persons with this prevalent and difficult-to-treat dual diagnosis, the most urgent clinical need is to establish safety--to work toward discontinuing substance use, letting go of dangerous relationships, and gaining control over such extreme symptoms as dissociation and self-harm. The manual is divided into 25 specific units or topics, addressing a range of different cognitive, behavioral, and interpersonal domains. Each topic provides highly practical tools and techniques to engage patients in treatment; teach "safe coping skills" that apply to both disorders; and restore ideals that have been lost, including respect, care, protection, and healing. Structured yet flexible, topics can be conducted in any order and in a range of different formats and settings. The volume is designed for maximum ease of use with a large format, lay-flat binding, and helpful reproducible therapist sheets and handouts.
See also the author's self-help guide Recovery from Trauma, Addiction, or Both: Strategies for Finding Your Best Self, an ideal client recommendation.